If you are reading this post, it’s because your AutoCAD R14 setup program is not starting after following the R14 installation steps that we documented here and you have reached the Troubleshooting section.
Why the setup is not starting is a big question, most likely it’s because a Windows Update or some other installer update is pending (in which case a reboot should solve) or it could be a security ‘feature’ a 3rd party anti-virus application or similar is imposing on your system which is in turn blocking your R14 setup. The thing is, it’s impossible for us to realistically diagnose the exact problem for you, so we came up with a fail safe solution – install using Windows Safe Mode, here’s how…
NOTE: These steps do not bypass normal Autodesk licensing/authorization, you should expect to use your own serial numbers in the normal way.
- Obtain your copy of the Longbow Converter here, install it.
- Using Windows Explorer, copy your entire AutoCAD R14 CD to your hard drive, to a folder path c:\Autodesk\acadR14
- Boot your computer into Safe Mode using these instructions
- Once in Windows Safe Mode, start the Longbow Converter tool, select the 2nd tab “Old AutoCAD Installer Reviver“, pick the c:\Autodesk\acadR14 folder, and click Run. Read and understand all the prompts before pressing OK.
- Once the setup starts, stop and read the next step…
- In the setup program, navigate through each setup dialog as normal, except when you get to the installation folder, **it’s vitally important to make sure you install to c:\acadR14 (not .\AutoCAD R14 as usually prompted)**
- Now carry on with the install (do not reboot once the install is complete). Ignore any errors related to not being able to create the shortcut, you will have to create a shortcut on your computer Desktop to your c:\acadR14\acad.exe by hand.
- Do not reboot if prompted to do so
- Once installed, go back to the Converter tool, select the 3rd tab, pick the newly installed c:\acadR14 folder and click Fix.
- Now reboot your computer back into normal Windows mode
- Open Windows Explorer, navigate to c:\acadR14 and run acad.exe – you can now happily run your AutoCAD R14 on Windows 10, Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 32bit or 64bit