Installing AutoCAD Mechanical (MDT) 2006 on Windows 10, Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 32bit or 64bit can be very easily defined in these short steps…
IMPORTANT NOTE: Autodesk no longer supply License Activation codes for this version of AutoCAD. The best way is to transfer your existing license to the new PC but there are other options, we document them here
How to install AutoCAD Mechanical 2006
- Obtain your copy of the Longbow Converter here
- Using Windows Explorer, copy your entire MDT 2006 CD to your hard drive, to a folder path c:\Autodesk\mdt2006
- Start the Longbow Converter tool, select the 2nd tab “Old AutoCAD Installer Reviver“, pick the c:\Autodesk\mdt2006 folder, and click Run. Read and understand all the prompts before pressing OK. Once the setup starts, stop and read the next step…
- In the setup program, navigate through each setup dialog as normal, except when you get to the installation folder, **it’s vitally important to make sure you install to c:\mdt2006 (not Program Files (x86)\AutoCAD Mechanical 2006 as usually prompted by default)**
- Once installed, go back to the Converter tool, select the 3rd tab “Old AutoCAD Program Reviver“, pick the newly installed c:\mdt2006 folder and click Fix.
- Now you can happily run your MDT 2006 on Windows 10, Windows 7 and Windows 8.
Installing the MDT 2006 Service Pack 2
- Click one of these to download the MDT 2006 sp2 (you will either have a locked or unlocked version labeled on your original CD)
- Now Copy the *SP2.exe to folder path c:\Autodesk\sp
- Start the Converter, select the 3rd tab, pick the c:\Autodesk\sp folder and click Fix.
- Now run the *SP2.exe from Windows explorer to install.
– If you are unable to activate your product, or the activation crashes:
- Try uninstalling the July 2014 Microsoft security update
- Try downgrading your Internet Explorer (IE) from version 11 to version 10 by following the instructions detailed here
- Perhaps you have a SATA drive – Activation problems with AutoCAD 2006 and AutoCAD 2007
– If you have crashing problems using the File->Open or File->Save dialogs inside of AutoCAD please read this blog entry on the File->Open or File->Save Crash in AutoCAD