Installing AutoCAD 2006 on Windows 10, Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 32bit or 64bit can be very easily defined in these short steps…
NOTE: These steps do not bypass normal Autodesk licensing/authorization, you should expect to use your own serial numbers in the normal way.
- Obtain your copy of the Longbow Converter here
- Make a backup of your AutoCAD 2006 CD to your hard drive, to a folder path c:\Autodesk\acad2006
- Start the Longbow Converter tool
- select the 2nd tab named “Old AutoCAD Installer Reviver“
- pick the c:\Autodesk\acad2006 folder
- click “Run Old Installer”
- Once the process has finished, make sure you read and understand all the prompts before pressing OK.
- Now the setup should start, before continuing, stop and read the next step…
- In the setup program, navigate through each setup dialog as normal, with these exceptions…
- When you click the Install link from your setup you may see a dialog box appear saying – “This program has compatibility issues” – simply check the “Don’t show this message again” and then click the “Run the program without getting help”.
- When you arrive at the installation folder path setup dialog, **it’s vitally important to make sure you install to c:\acad2006 (not Program Files (x86)\AutoCAD 2006)**.
- Once installed, make sure you fully close the AutoCAD setup program (because the Converter is waiting for the setup program to close) then go back to the Converter tool
- select the 3rd tab named “Old AutoCAD Program Reviver“
- pick the newly installed c:\acad2006 folder
- then click “Fix Old Program“.
- At this point, you should be able to happily run your AutoCAD 2006 on Windows 7, 8 and Windows 10 both 32bit and 64bit but if you still have problems, we recommend that you install the Service Packs as described just below.
Installing AutoCAD 2006 Service Pack 1
- English Users, Download your English AutoCAD 2006 sp1 from here
- Non-English users, Download your language specific AutoCAD 2006 sp1 from here
- Now copy your newly downloaded sp (for English users the filename is AutoCAD2006SP1.exe) to folder path c:\Autodesk\sp
- Start the Converter, select the 3rd tab, pick the c:\Autodesk\sp folder and click Fix.
- Now run the AutoCAD2006SP1.exe from Windows explorer to install.
- Once completed, now run your AutoCAD!
– If you see a warning dialog when you run AutoCAD saying “This program has known compatibility issues”, simply click “Don’t show this message again” and then click “Run the Program…”
– If you are unable to activate your product, or the activation process crashes:
- Try uninstalling the July 2014 Microsoft security update
- Try downgrading your Internet Explorer (IE) from version 11 to version 10 by following the instructions detailed here
- Perhaps you have a SATA drive – Activation problems with AutoCAD 2006 and AutoCAD 2007
– If you have crashing problems using the File->Open or File->Save dialogs inside of AutoCAD please read this blog entry on the File->Open or File->Save Crash in AutoCAD